And here I wonder how many can last just a year without sex. Oops.
Note to all readers: This is a serious topic I'm discussing, not a topic from some bored guy who's doing his readings and just happened to click on "Latest Headlines" on the Firefox links.
From: BBC
"The mystery of how an animal has survived for 80 million years without sex has been solved by UK scientists.
A Cambridge team says the creature owes its existence to a genetic quirk that offers some recompense for prolonged celibacy."
And please read on yea?
Basically...this asexual animal has managed to live for 80 million years without having SEX! Gosh. That's really interesting! I mean, it's like telling a couple not to have sex from marriage to death (o.O)
Ok that might be POSSIBLE but....
Being humans and therefore sexual creatures, sex is the way (or should I say, the ONLY? let's drop the subject of cloning yea?) to reproduce, and over time, allows us to adapt to changes in our environment and thus allowing us to evolve.
And here we see, a creature known as a bdelloid rotifer (a single-celled invertebrate) actually manages to evolve and survive through these 80 million years WITHOUT dying out because of its ability to make two separate proteins from two different copies of a key gene!
And that, my friends, is an interesting discovery for us. :)
Posted In:
Interesting...
.
By Zεηιτħ
0 Responses to
Something to say?