On Timeline: 28-29 Sep 2007
I must say...Berlin is too big to be explored in a day...or 2. In fact, you should plan for at least 3 days there! And do visit Potsdam! Shall blog on that another day 
Anyway, this post follows the previous one here. So shall not go into detail on how I got there.
Berlin is a definite place YOU MUST GO! Gosh. Super nice place. The food is good, and I lived in a superb hostel which provided *gasp* buffet styled dinner and breakfast!!! Woohoo! No more lunch for me! (And that explains why I wake up damn early for the bfast? lol!)
Managed to explore Berlin for a day only, and coupled with limited battery life and the need to catch a night train to Zurich, I had to complete as much as possible in a short period of time. Having the 1-day travel card in Berlin was useful that day, because there were many road diversions due to the Berlin Marathon, spread over 2 days. Therefore, had to take the S-Bahn and U-Bahn a lot to get from place to place, as the buses were all diverted from the city centre.
But luckily, the marathon started in the afternoon, and I started my journey early, so I managed to cover quite a lot of places, for example the Fernsehturm am Alexanderplatz (or TV Tower), the Rotes Rathaus (Red City Hall), Nikolaiviertel (Nikolai Quarter) and even a small Anne Frank museum here in Berlin! Gosh. I have to go to the one in Amsterdam already!
Red City Hall
Fruits!
Daggers used by the SA
Anne Frank's first book - published by her father after her death
Huge German sausage! Rostbratwurst!
Me and the Berliner Dom
Contemplation
Statue and Nikolai Quarter in the background
Inside of the Nikolai Church
Bears outside the Nikolai Church
TV Tower
Berliner Holocaust-Mahnmal
A walk into the past...
Holocaust Mahnmal, and the new buildings all around it in the background
Brandenburger Tor
Currywurst!
Cold wet day...currywurst comes in to save the day! :)

Reichstag Panorama

Star Trek??
The Cupola (viewing platform of the Reichstag Building)
Contemplated whether to queue for the Reichstag Building tour, but since it is free, why not?! The problem I had was that I had a train to catch (kinda unsure of the time at that moment), and it was raining and windy (basically, COLD). Geez. Luckily I managed to get in in just over an hour.

Siegessaule (Victory Column) Panorama
The view of the Victory Column was amazing. Due to the marathon, traffic was stopped, so I could walk all the way to just near the column AND take pictures WITHOUT any cars! How cool was that?! I made sure I took a lotta pictures so that I can delete the lousier ones...but I guess this is it! It now enters my favourite pictures 'cos I doubt I can get such a great picture again. Pity...the weather was not that great.

Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedachtniskirche
Child turning the machine to get a medal of the church
And that sums up my entire day in Berlin. Pity I did not have time to go to the Schloss Charlottenburg, heard it was pretty beautiful! Guess I'll have to do that another time.
And maybe, just maybe...I'll return to Berlin, again :)
Current Mood:
Happy
0 Responses to
Something to say?