NUS sure is getting interesting

Just checked my mail in the early morning today and I received 2 very interesting emails. 2 new modules in fact. Gosh, why didn't they come up with such modules earlier? But is NUS evolving? Haha....on the surface, they sound interesting, and coupled with the latest S/U policy I would give it a try if I had the chance!

The first is on this new module, CS3216 : Software Development on Evolving Platforms. And this module is a Facebook Programming module.

Yes, you heard it right, FACEBOOK module.

Apparently, the course is open to non-SOC (School of Computing) students and they are required to work in groups to create killer Facebook applications (ok how 'killer' it will be, we ain't sure?). And guess what?? No programming experience as pre-requisite!!!

On top of that, bidding is NOT via CORS, but via the submission of a personal statement. What a module! Now you can be part of the process to bring addiction to facebook to a higher level. How cool.

The School of Computing will be offering a new 4-MC Facebook Programming module on next Semester (AY2007/2008, Semester 2) - CS3216 : Software Development on Evolving Platforms. This is your chance to be a part of this new global Internet phenomenon, currently valued at some US$15 billion.

This new module is not your traditional software engineering course. Enrollment will be open to students of all faculties and students will work in small inter-disciplinary teams to create their killer Facebook applications. Programming experience for non-SoC students is not a pre-requisite (since work will be done in teams).

As it turns out, Trey Phillips , the winner of Facebook F8 Hackathon, is a philosophy major. This suggests that ANYONE without programming background can be a Facebook Developer. The nominal pre-requisite is thus CS1101, but students who do not have formal programming background but who have a keen interest in e-entrepreneurship or a background in design. Students will not be assessed individually, but in groups, so individual programming proficiency will not be assessed. Students need only to be able to contribute substantively to their team projects. The success of social networking applications depend a lot on the concept and execution rather than good programming ability. The students can develop their applications in their language of choice, but will likely use PHP or Ruby with mySQL.

Source: NUS Email


The next email, is rather interesting as well, therefore I'm placing it here also...Apparently there're Theatre Studies modules in NUS (why did I not hear of them?) and they have a production called "The West Wing" coming up. The modules are apparently Play production modules, TS3237 and TS3103.

The West Wing is a TV series drama by NBC, if I'm not wrong, and there's even a movie which was released in 1999.

So the learning in NUS has diversified yet again...let's just see how much more of such 'exploration' modules that they can offer to the students, and although I doubt I can be part of such a change in the system, I believe it is a good thing for students to be exposed to more areas and do modules which they really like doing.

Current Mood: Working