SCSM marks the end of another year of running

Oh yea. Well, actually MR25's Ultra Marathon really marks the end of running for us runners, but for me, I cant make it for the New Year Eve run this year, so I've to step back and take the SCSM as the last (official) running event this year.

This year wasn't a good year for runs, for me especially. After the Dualathlon in Feb, I came down with chicken pox and never really got going after that. So essentially I think I lost about 3 months of fitness.

Then the major events came. Mizuno, NBRR, AHM. Of the 3, I missed the NBRR and AHM, 'cos of Rovers commitments. But I planned to try training on my own to make up for the loss training during AHM.

Sadly, was mistakened and the packed reading week and exam schedule proved fatal. Din manage to better my timing last year, only managed to squeeze in a sub-5 with loads of thanks to Lionel who kept pushing me on and running with me throughout from the turning point at ECP till the end.

Essentially I think I need more training la. The thighs do not feel good this year, and I reckoned I hit the wall at an even earlier time, possibly at the 20km mark or so. So that meant that I could last maybe an additional 5-7 km before I'll pull up with cramps.

The start was so-so for me. Intended to go slow and take it easy for the first half of the marathon 'cos it would mean that I could last longer, and I think I kept pace within the first 10km. The next 10km was rather fast, with about 3 100 Plus stations, 1 banana point and seeing the 21km racers returning from their U-turn. The banana did not seem to go down well, but I still managed to finish it. My priority was to try to get to ECP and maintain my speed and form. But it kinda failed. lol.

Was looking out for the deep-heat stations and stretching the muscle groups cos I felt tension on running from Fort Road towards Kits Runners. Was thinking to myself "Why din I try to get more runs under my belt? Or run the 21km?" Well, did contemplate doing the 21km instead of the full on the eve, but it was kinda too late. lol.

So as I went along, I saw Tianyuan and Huiqin, as well as Lionel, who joined me for the return leg after the U-turn. Saw OTC and some other familiar faces, and managed to pass him a spare Powergel cos he seems to need it.

The return leg was painful. Cramps came in, felt like puking and I hit the 'wall' and personally I felt it was quite doomed. 'Cos I knew what this would become. The puking part was probably due to the banana + 3 packs of powergel + not enough food. With 9km to go, each step taken hurts. But to finish, was a miracle. Haha. After the race, was really relieved to finally sit down, do nothing but nuah in pain and agony.

Shall go and train up some more, and hope to get back to shape next year! More runs!!! For those who've done their marathons, happy resting and stretch those muscles! Sleep is good...as always~

Time for trekking season! :)


SGRunners :)


Me and Lionel!


Current Mood: Achy

Current Music: Penny Dai - Tan Shui He Pian