Completely in a shagged out mood now, and with Enping's news that he has confirmed gotten chicken pox, I was more sian...'Cos I might have gotten it from him already.
P.S. Spots on body tells much huh?
Just returned from Singapore Dualthon, held at ECP F2 Carpark, which basically is a run-bike-run routine. Seems pretty easy, but I was tired out even before the run started. The event commenced at 8am for the kids juniors and 9.30am for my wave, which was about 300 strong, of ages 19-39. Pretty large group huh? In fact, age does not help muchm most importantly is the bike one uses, and the training time involved. For me, I had neither.
Why? Just returned from night cycling last Sunday feeling super shacked, Mon-Tues was my Datuk trip, and I managed to do a lil' bit of cycling on Wed (en route to get my goodies and stuff for the race) and on Friday (on Enping's road bike after he had been forced to pull out due to administrative issues).
So I was just under-conditioned, for the biking part at least. Never mind, I had hoped that my physical fitness would overcome that, since biking is just...biking?
I was so so so WRONG.
First I cycled from home down to ECP due to lack of vehicular transport to transport my bike down to ECP. Now, I regret the decision made then. I had thought that taxis could not fit the bike in, so I've dismissed the idea of puttting the bike in the boot of the taxi, and taking a nice ride down.
Next, on starting my run, I felt a little tired. I did not know why, but the tiredness came from my legs. Then I realised that because I had biked down about 10km (or more, considering from TPY), I would have used up much of my energy and my muscles are more than warmed-up. They were tired, and it was an omnimous sign. Completed my 10km in 1:20, which was pretty bad, and I knew that I would be having cramps soon.
And it did. Happened in my biking leg, after the first round. Was nearing the transition exit area, full of bikes coming out on the left, and overtaking speedsters on the right. A person behind me shouted, "Keep left!" But I was already sandwiched between him and another 2 guys coming out from my left. In trying to pull apart from the pack, I strained my muscles, and stopped at the pavement.
Both calves were tight and strained. I was just cursing under my breath of what that guy had done. Geez.
Tried to stretch, but it was futile, till one of the uncles from the Triathlon Association came over and told me how to stretch, and to use a lower gear. My rationale for using the higher gear now is to chase the lead pack (or maintain at least) and handle the distance and speed first.
Recovered to continue cycling, but half-way through the 2nd lap, felt my thigh muscles cramping, and the calf muscles cannot make it also. Rested at the sides for about 5 minutes or so, stretched and rested, and mounted the bike again to try to chase.
The thing about biking is that, once you're left behind, it is very difficult for you to chase back up. Especially with the low gears I am using due to my calf strains. Managed to clear the 3rd and 4th laps with no problems, and returned to the transition area with energy exhausted, and to face another 5km of run.
And the last 5km was probably the worse run in my whole life. I started off with bad cramps on both my thighs and calves, and had to walk and stretch for 100m. By the time I had started a little jogging, I had reached the Bedok Jetty.
Then, the inevitable happened. Both my calves, afer being strained for some time, just decided to give up together, rendering me helpless, on the ground, trying to stretch. The right thigh muscle also fully tightened up, and the pain was excrutiating.
Luckily enough, I had passed by some of my fellow sgRunners people, and xuanjing helped me to stretch my fully tightened muscles. After about a minute or so of stretching, I'm hobbling, and soon enough the tightened muscle loosened and I could jog already.
All along the 5km route, I was in quite a pain for both legs, and I just wished I had been in better condition. Sighz. Shall learn from the mistake this time round. Finally, managed to end (ran in!) and I think the timing was about 3 hours. Not bad for a newbie?
Later, collected my t-shirt and winners medal, met up with fellow sgRunners dualathletes such as Ben and James. My legs had already been rendered useless and completely tired out already. Lucky enough, Ben was driving, and I had a nice lift to Enping's place, where I returned him his bike, got the news at the same time, saw his pox-es, and returned home...
And now I'm lying on my bed typing all these admist 2 almost-dying legs, 1 abrasion and a near-concussed Shiyao. Haha.
Current Mood:
Tired
Current Music: Fan Wei Qi - Ru Guo De Shi
Posted In:
Runs
.
By Zεηιτħ
0 Responses to
Something to say?